UPDATE: ‘Major damage’ to suite in Chilliwack home caused by electrical fire

Categories: Canada

Residents of a Young Road home managed to get out safely from a two-alarm house fire Monday, with several of their pets, before crews arrived from Chilliwack Fire Department.

“This fire is considered accidental and is under investigation by the Chilliwack Fire Department fire investigators,” said assistant fire chief Andy Brown, in a release.

The use of an extension cord was involved.

“The Chilliwack Fire Department wants to remind the public that extension cords are for temporary use only. Have a qualified electrician determine if additional circuits or wall outlets are needed.”

Crews were called out at 10:40 a.m. Monday (July 24) to the residential structure fire in 9800-block of Young Road, with 22 firefighters responding from Halls 1, 2, 4 and 6. On arrival they found heavy fire and black smoke venting from a suite.

“Fire crews called for a second alarm and worked quickly to perform an exterior attack on the fire, while securing a water supply to bring the fire under control,”

That allowed fire crews to transition into an interior fire attack and search the house.

“The quick actions of fire crews prevented the fire from spreading to the main area of the house, containing the fire to the suite of origin, which suffered major fire damage.

There were no firefighter or civilian injuries, but several people, including four adults and one child were displaced from their fire-damaged home. Emergency Social Services (ESS) personnel were called to provide assistance.

Do you have something to add to this story, or a news tip? Email:

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

City of Chilliwackfire

View the full article from the original source

Leave a Reply